Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Sudden Anger

I feel reluctant to write what I suppose to write because some “people” might feel uneasy but it is my obligation to say it here. I am ready to get blasted by those who think that I am totally wrong. Well, whatsoever, it is for our betterment.

Yesterday, on the way back home, my wife asked me to stop by Siburan bazaar to buy liquid detergent. It was rainy afternoon and I parked my ugly bike at a shaded parking lot. On my left side there was a nice car.

As I turn off the engine, suddenly a well looked man call me with aloud and angry voice. “Boss. Macam mana saya mau keluar! (Sir, how do I get out?)” said the man in anger. “Apa? Pak cik mau keluar?. Keluar ke mana? Uncle boleh undur dan keluarlah. (What? Uncle want to get out to where? Maybe you can reverse and exit from this parking lot.” I replied. His face turned to different impression and said “Saya baru sampai dan saya mau keluar. Kamu halang pintu saya, macam mana saya mau keluar loh. (I have just arrive and want to get out from this car. If you block my door how to get out!)”. I replied, “I am sorry uncle” and parked my bike away from his car.

Then, my wife goes to H&L supermarket and I wait for her. The man gets out from his car. Based from his appearance he must be a professional as he drives a nice car and wearing neck tie. He looked at me with a different way and I ignored him. As I waited for my wife, I heard he speaks with an aunty about what was happening over and over. He blamed me blindly and looks down at me as a rider in the rain. At first I ignore his conversation with the aunty but as he keeps on repeating the bad word in Bidayuh language, I interrupted him and said in Bidayuh language “Uncle, aku muh mite maaf so kaam. Duh sah dinge nyabut har anu. Manguh aku dingah.( Uncle, I have ask for apologize from you and I think that we do not have to talk about it over and over again. I feel shame.” His impression changed as I talk to him in Bidayuh language. I asked him to keep no heart feeling on me before we leave the bazaar.

Some of the people I met will assume that I am a Chinese as I am a little bit look like a Chinese man. I mean my eyes and face are look alike. That was why that uncle spoke “bahasa pasar” with me. What made me upset was that how can a professional Bidayuh
(He is a bank officer) burned his anger easily where there are many polite ways to converse with others? He can say “excuse me” in stead of raising his voice to a small biker like me. I realized that I was wrong and asked for apologize but it was seems to be not working at all. Maybe if I drive a car as he has, he will be more polite to me. I feel different yesterday afternoon but I have to make it as a funny tragedy.

Bidayuhs are recognized by their humbleness and courtesy. That are the trade mark and they are thought in every households and schools. Somehow, I could not understand why there are still arrogant people of my clan which is not inline to our culture value and personality. We are thought to respect and honor each other to live in harmony and unity. Maybe if I dressed like he dressed and drive a car like what he drives, I will not get punt by the uncle but getting apologize from him or at least a polite words and respect as a same tribe like him.

We are loosing our precious value that was planted by our forefather and that made us disunite and hate our own clan. I miss the time when elders teach us to behave and mould our personality in order to behave in a good manner. I do not blame the uncle wholly as he might not receive the same portion of personality lesson as my father has given to me. Maybe I look younger to him and deserve no respect and furthermore, I am just a small ugly bike rider.

I believe that we practice what is good to conserve our good personality. Everybody is trying to project themselves in the society and I believe that those who are courteous are well known but those who are rude and arrogant will lost his friends. Let live in a harmony environment where “give and take” is well practice and appreciated.

Budi Bahasa Budaya Kita.
Post a Comment